Mahhi Vij is an Indian model and TV actress. She is known for playing the roles of Nakusha in the Hindi TV serial ‘Laagi Tujhse Lagan’ (2009) and ‘Nandini in Balika Vadhu’ (2016).
Mahhi Vij was born on Thursday, 1 April 1982 (age 46 years; as of 2022) in New Delhi. Her zodiac sign is Aries. She did her schooling at Lilawati Vidya Mandir School, Delhi.
She pursued her graduation at the University of Delhi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 1″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Hazel Green
Mahhi Vij belongs to a middle-class Punjabi family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Vinod Vij, and her mother’s name is Sushma Vij. She has a sister named Shilpi Vij.
Husband & Children
Mahhi met the Indian actor Jay Bhanushali at a party of their common friend. It was love at first sight for Jay. After almost a year, they met again at a club. Initially, they became friends and soon, fell in love with each other. On 11 November 2011, the couple had a court marriage, and they kept their marriage secret from the media and the public. The media got to know about their marriage for the first time at the sangeet ceremony of the Indian actor Vikas Kalantari, where Mahhi was spotted wearing a mangalsutra.
In 2014, amid the rumours of problems in their married life, the couple had a white wedding in a low-key affair at a church in Las Vegas.
In 2017, Mahhi and Jay adopted their caretaker’s son and daughter as their foster children named Khushi and Rajveer. However, they did not become their legal parents.
On 21 August 2019, Mahhi gave birth to her daughter named Tara.
Her cousin brother, Shekhar Malhotra is married to the Indian TV actress Bhumika Gurung.
Mahhi Vij does not follow any religion. In an interview, while talking about her religion, she said,
I have been fasting for the past two years now. I don’t follow any one religion. I have observed chaliya (a 40-day fast observed in Sikhism) also, and I go to a gurudwara too. I follow rozas (during the month of Ramzan), as it’s just something I feel like doing. I would say, I had a calling, and hence, I started fasting. It feels good, and I think all good things happen to me.”
At the age of 17, she started her career as a model. She has worked in various fashion shows and print advertisements.
In 2002, she appeared in the Hindi music video “Tu, Tu Hai Wahi” (DJ Aqeel Mix).
She has been featured in a few other Hindi music videos like “Roz Roz” (2008) by Abhijeet Bhattacharya and “Rimjhim-Rimjhim Saawan Barse” (2012) by Anuradha Paudwal.
In 2006, Mahhi made her TV debut with the Sony TV serial ‘Akela’ in which she played the role of Meghna.
In 2008, she acted in a few other Hindi TV serials like ‘Ssshhhh…Koi Hai’ (Star Plus), ‘Kaisi Laagi Lagan’ (Sahara One), and ‘Shubh Kadam’ (Sahara One). She came into the limelight with her 2009 Colors TV serial ‘Laagi Tujhse Lagan’ in which she played the role of Nakusha Patil.
She then appeared in various Hindi TV serials like ‘Na Aana Is Des Laado’ (2009; Colors), ‘Rishton Se Badi Pratha’ (2010; Colors), and ‘Laal Ishq’ (2018; And TV).
In 2010, she participated in Sony TV’s celebrity dance reality show ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4.’
In 2012, Mahhi, along with her husband Jay, won the celebrity couple TV dance reality show ‘Nach Baliye 5.’ The show was aired on Star Plus.
She has also worked as a comedian in a few Hindi TV serials like ‘Comedy Circus Ka Naya Daur’ (2011; Sony).
She participated in the Colors stunt-based TV reality show ‘Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi 7’ in 2016.
Mahhi has appeared as a celebrity guest in various Colors reality TV shows such as ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 5’ (2012), ‘Bigg Boss 9’ (2015), ‘Kitchen Champion 5’ (2019), and ‘Comedy Nights Bachao’ (2016).
Mahhi made her Telugu film debut with ‘Tapana’ (2004) in which she played the role of Meera.
In the same year, she made her Malayalam film debut with ‘Aparichithan’ as Kalyani.
Rumours of Tiff with Her Husband
In 2016, Mahhi Vij and her husband Jay Bhanushali reportedly indulged in a serious quarrel following his intimate scenes in his debut movie Hate Story 2 with co-actress Surveen Chawla.
Trolled for Ignoring Her Foster Children
Jay Bhanushali and his wife Mahhi Vij often get trolled on social media for not attending to and caring for their adopted children Khushi, and Rajveer, after the birth of their biological daughter Tara. Jay Bhanushali and Mahhi Vij often condemn the blame publicly and explain through various media houses that all of their children are equally cared for. Later, Mahhi took to Instagram to talk about it and said that they were not the legal parents of the children, and they were like a family to them.
- Film(s): Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), P.S. I Love You (2007)
- Favourite Food: Rajma Chawal
- Travel Destination(s): New Zealand, Chicago, Greece
- Her family and friends lovingly call her Koshu.
- In her leisure time, she loves travelling and trying different cuisines.
- On the advice of her astrologer, she added an extra ‘h’ to her name and changed her name from Mahi to Mahhi.
- In an interview, Mahhi shared that in the initial years of her career, she faced various financial difficulties. She said,
When I shifted to Mumbai I told my father that I will never be a burden on him. So there were times when we did not have money to pay rent and I did not have courage to tell my father. But somebody up in the heaven was looking after me and I would bag some project and would be able to afford the expenses.”
- She once worked as a kindergarten teacher.
- Mahhi is often spotted consuming alcohol at parties and events.
- She is an avid dog lover and has three pet dogs named Katori, Tim Tim, and Figo. Their fourth dog Angel had died, and in memory of Angel, they named their apartment Angel Niwas.
- She has collaborated with various brands on her Instagram account.
- Mahhi has got a tattoo of her husband’s name ‘Jay’ inked on her right wrist.
- She has been featured on the cover of various magazines such as Mother & Baby and Downtown Mirror.
- On 31 May 2018, Mahhi and Jay started their YouTube vlog channel named Jay Mahhi Vlogs.
- In 2021, one of her cousin brothers named Siddharth died of the complications of COVID-19. Mahhi took to Instagram to share the news and thanked the Indian actor Sonu Sood for helping her brother during the pandemic.
- In August 2022, Mahhi, along with her husband, bought a Mercedes-Benz E-Class car.
- In May 2022, she received rape threats from a man who banged on her car while Mahhi was in the car with her daughter. She then filed a police complaint against the man and requested the local police to trace him.